The town of Bangkok began as a small trading center and port community on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River before the establishment of the Ayutthaya Kingdom, the precursor of modern Thailand, which existed from 1350 to 1767. The etymology of the town’s name is unclear. Bang is the Central Thai name for a town situated on the bank of a river. It is believed that “Bangkok” derived from either Bangkok, kok (กอก) being the Thai name for the Java plum (ma-kok, มะกอก), one of several trees bearing olive-like fruits); or Bang Koh, koh meaning “island,” a reference to the area’s landscape which was carved by rivers and canals.
Leave a Reply